Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has provided definitions for the core objectives; San Antonio College has adopted these core objectives as general education competencies.
Graduates from San Antonio College with an Associate’s degree will be able to:
- employ Critical Thinking Skills, to include creative thinking, innovation, inquiry, analysis, evaluation, and synthesis of information;
- convey knowledge and information through Communication Skills, to include effective written, oral, and visual communication;
- apply Empirical and Quantitative Skills, to include applications of scientific and mathematical concepts;
- participate effectively in Teamwork activities, to include the ability to consider different points of view and to work effectively with others to support a shared purpose or goal;
- exhibit Social Responsibility by engaging effectively in regional, national, and/or global communities and by demonstrating intercultural competency and civic knowledge;
- model Personal Responsibility for others, to include the ability to connect choices, actions and consequences to ethical decision-making;
- provide Leadership in a variety of contexts, to include managing group dynamics, fairly evaluating diverse viewpoints, making competent decisions, following appropriate hierarchies, and modeling servant leadership practices.
- demonstrate proficiency in one or more areas of Performance, to include artistic skills, technical skills, athletic skills, or other kinesthetic skill activity.