In addition to meeting the general admission requirements of San Antonio College, all students desiring admission to the Medical Assisting Program must meet the following requirements:
- Submit a transcript of all previous college work and ACT scores, if applicable.
- Apply for formal admission to San Antonio College.
- Present a counseling card from the Department of Counseling and Student Development.
- Request an interview with the program coordinator or other faculty as designated to complete program application, counseling, and advisement as necessary.
- Meet the following entry-level skills competencies levels:
- ENGL 0301 Basic English II
- MATH 0300 Basic Mathematics
- READ 0303 College Reading Skills
Scoring appropriately on the Accuplacer test will verify these competencies.
- Prior to enrolling into the Certificate Level II program, students must complete:
- ENGL 1301 Freshman Composition I
- MDCA1313 Medical Terminology/HITT1305 Medical Terminology
- POFI 1301 Computer Applications I
- Attend an initial advisement session and completion of:
- Medical Assisting Program Application Form
- Medical Assisting Certificate Level II Degree plan
- A completed program health assessment packet which includes a health history and physical assessment, Technical Standards Form, proof of immunizations: i.e. DPT, MMR, varicella, and bacterial meningitis. The hepatitis B series must be completed prior to enrolling in any clinical course (MDCA 1317, 1352, 1417 and 1448).
- Background check and drug screen must be completed prior to the start of second semester.
- Proof of an approved CPR course “C” (adult, infant, child) taken through the American Heart Association must be provided prior to start of practicum.
- With the exception of MDCA 1313/HITT 1305 Medical Terminology, and MDCA 1254 Medical Assistant Credentialing Exam Review, enrollment in Medical Assisting Program (MDCA/HITT/PHRA) courses is restricted to medical assisting majors and those students whose program major lists a medical assisting course as either a requirement or an elective, unless approved by the program coordinator.
Beginning with the administration of the January 2001 CMA (AAMA) credentialing examination, felons are not eligible to sit for the examination unless the certifying board grants a waiver based on one or more of the mitigating circumstances listed in the disciplinary standards. For a copy of the disciplinary standards, contact the Medical Assisting Program coordinator.
The San Antonio College Medical Assisting Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) — located at 1361 Park St.; Clearwater, Florida 33756; phone number: (727) 210-2350 — on recommendation of the American Association of Medical Assistants Endowment (AAMAE). Students who graduate from the Medical Assisting Program, qualify for the certification examination conducted by the AAMAE for the certified medical assistant credential.
Related Degrees and Certificates:
Medical Office Administrative Assistant, Level I Certificate
Medical Assisting, A.A.S. (Spring)
Certificate Requirements (Total Credit Hours 51)