Additional Program Information
The Dental Assisting Program is a 12 month, Fall-entry only, full-time day program with limited enrollment (24 students). The program in dental assisting is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611. The Commission’s web address is: www.ada.org/en/coda.
The mission of the program is to provide for and support competency-based learning for a multicultural community. As one of the accredited Dental Assisting Programs in Texas, the program is committed to excellence in helping to meet the diverse needs of both traditional and nontraditional students. The program seeks to provide each student with the essential knowledge and skills necessary to become a functional dental team member and meet the requirements of the national examining entity.
IMPORTANT: Students are required to submit an online application and attend a group advisement which includes a PowerPoint presentation with a Dental Assisting program faculty member.
Students with high-school diploma or its equivalent (GED), or post- secondary degree https://www.alamo.edu/sac/admissions-aid/enrollment-checklists/ meeting the general admission and enrollment process requirements of San Antonio College and the Dental Assisting program, desiring admission into Dental Assisting program courses must submit all of the following for fall admission:
Phase One: Allied Health Department Requirements
- An application for formal admission San Antonio College (Apply Texas).
- Complete Dental Assisting Program online application website before deadline.
- Submit official sealed transcripts to Admission and Records Office
- Meet the program’s entry-level competencies which are completion of MATH 0320 or a TSI score of 350 or higher or college level math (AAS), INRW 0420 or TSI-English: Essay 5 and Reading 351. This can be accomplished by scoring appropriately on the TSI test or taking and passing the courses.
- A GPA of 2.75 or better.
- Provide a copy of unofficial transcript for advisement.
- Written proof of an advisement/degree plan signed by a faculty member of the dental assisting program
- Written proof of completion of 20 hours of observation at General Dentistry Practice (see program form).
- At this time, the dental assisting program does not admit students with advanced standing.
Students meeting these basic requirements and Complio will be accepted on a first come first served basis
Student not meeting these basic requirements will be referred to the Counselors at the Health and Biosciences Institute.
Please Note: Students accepted into the dental assisting program will be notified by Alamo e-mail. The phase two packet must be returned by the deadline in order to move to phase three.
Phase Two: Program Specific Requirements
Students entering the Dental Assisting Program must submit the following by the deadline:
- Pre-Program Requirements: Take and pass CPR- BLS-Provider and submit copy of current CPR card to program Complio. Note:CPR is required for State and National Certificates (CPR BLS-Provider).
- A completed program health assessment policy packet which includes: A completed updated immunization record including Hepatitis B series (3) or is in progress of completion needing only #3 in the series to be completed; TB screen (within one year) Chest x-ray if hx (+) or a No evidence of active tuberculosis documented by physician; Tdap (# As determined by medical provider) or Tetanus booster (Renewal every 10 years); MMR #1 and MMR #2;. Additionally, Varicella #1 and Varicella #2 or official documentation by a physician indicating active disease.
- Proof of completed background check.
- Proof of completed drug screening.
- Students must provide proof of health insurance (throughout program)
- Dental prophylaxis with current dental examination with interproximal radiographs (4).
- A signed order for x-rays from dentist indicating 18 fmx and/or Pano may be taken.
- Proof of ADAA Membership (fall and spring requirements)
Students entering the Dental Assisting Program will receive notification from the program office by e-mail and must:
- Attend the mandatory orientation meeting in the summer prior to enrollment in classes.
- Purchase of required textbooks and supplies.
- Purchase of required scrubs.
Students must earn a minimum grade of “C” in each course required of the AAS Degree in Dental Assisting curricula. Please note that it is the student’s responsibility to keep in contact with the dental assisting advisor, check eligibility, acceptance status and registering for their classes.
APPROVED Texas State Board of Dental Examiners Site for the Registered Dental Assistant Course (RDA). RDA certificates will be held until all required DNTA classes are passed. Please refer back to Texas State Board of Dental Examiners for expiration dates of exams.
Upon being awarded a degree, the graduate is eligible to take the Dental Assisting National Board certification (DANB) exam. If the examination is passed, the graduate will become a certified dental assistant (CDA).
For more information about this degree, contact the Allied Health Department at (210) 486-1502.
NOTE: Any incoming students who HAVE NOT yet met all required phases by the program deadline must re-apply online and be re-advised by dental faculty. Admittance into the program is on a space available basis. Should a student withdraw, fail, or drop, for whatever reason, he/she is readmitted on a space available basis.